Red Cross Evening of Stars


Classy iced tea



Amy Grant serenading us

Tonight my roommate and I went to a charity dinner put on by the Red Cross. My mentor through a leadership program at school called the Titan Leadership Program works for Red Cross and was able to get us spots. It was an amazing night and I am so glad I was given this opportunity. We had a delicious dinner and there was an auction to raise money for Red Cross. The highlight of the night though, was definitely the special guest. Amy Grant was asked to come and she spoke about some things in her life and sang a few of her songs. Sitting here drinking a mug of Hibiscus Berry tea, I am thinking about the things that she said. There are 2 things that stuck with me the most. First, she told us about a prayer that she learned and now says every morning. I don't remember the exact words, but it went something like this: Lord, help me find the people that I need today and those that need me. I think, even if you are not a Christian, that these are good words to live by. We never know who is going to need us and who we will need. It could be a stranger or your best friend, but someone WILL need you, and you need to be prepared to help them. The second thing that really struck a cord with me was when she said that if you were at a stagnant point in your life, make the next day special by doing something different. Sometimes I feel like my life is going nowhere. Every day I get up and go to class and study and then go to sleep. There is rarely a day when I am able to get out and do something fun like I did tonight. I'm going to try to make a point of keeping a balance in my life. A lot of times I get too obsessed with my studies. If I don't get perfect scores on everything I feel like I didn't do enough. Starting now, I am going to take more time to get out and do fun things with my friends. Maybe I won't finish all the reading for class or I will have to stay up a little bit later in order to finish it, but I will have made lasting memories with my friends. In the end that is the most important thing. I don't want to be someone who goes through life living it halfway. Starting today I will make more of an effort to have balance in my life. Staying on top of my studies, but not becoming too obsessed and ignoring the other parts of my life, like my friends. 

Comments