Hearty Blueberry Muffins from Martha Stewart Living

So, since I've been home I haven't really done much. The majority of my time has been spent watching movies. I decided that it was high time to actually do something productive with my life. So yesterday I decided to make myself some food to eat while I watch all my movies. Snacks and movies, what else could a girl ask for? My mom found this blueberry muffin recipe in a Martha Stewart magazine and I thought I would give them a try. Also, it was the  perfect opportunity to do my first ever food blog! 


First off here's the ingredients that you will need:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted, or safflower oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 8 ounces fresh blueberries (about 1 1/2 cups)




A few notes about ingredients. We didn't have any whole wheat flour so I just used all all-purpose flour and the muffins still tasted great, probably just a little less wheaty (is that a thing?). Second, coconut oil sounds super fancy so we didn't have that either so I just used grape seed oil which is apparently very good for baking. Three, I am dumb and apparently can't read labels. When I went to go get the the yogurt from the store I just picked the container that said original. I guess that meant original strawberry. The big picture of fruit didn't have any effect on my brain. So, if you happen to get the wrong kind of yogurt, don't worry! They still taste great, probably just a bit sweeter than they were supposed to be. 


Alright on to the recipe. First you will want to to preheat your oven to 375 and fill your muffin cups with liners (preferably pretty colored liners like mine).


Next, whisk together your flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make this bowl the bigger one since you'll be adding the other stuff to it later. 


In another bowl whisk together the brown sugar, yogurt, oil, and eggs.


Add the yogurty mix to the floury mix until they are just combined. 



Carefully fold in the blueberries. Don't go crazy and smash them all because you want the big pieces of fruit there when you eat them. Also, feel free to go heavy on the blueberries. I had probably a half a cup extra and honestly it was just an extra half cup of deliciousness. 


Fill those muffin cups up! Then bake them for about 20 minutes. They should be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean. This is probably not the best way to tell since you'll get blueberry juice all over the toothpick, but just make sure it doesn't come out all doughy. 


Let the muffins cool a bit in the pan, and then take them out and cool on a wire rack. 


Enjoy! And if you're looking for the perfect tea to go with the muffins, I think this green ginger that I am drinking now would go very well with the fruity flavor of the muffins. 

These muffins were super easy to make and they are very yummy! So if you are looking for something to do or just need a snack, give them a shot!


Comments