Packing for Japan


So as most of you know I will be leaving soon to go and study in Japan for my Junior year of university. I am incredibly excited, but I have just started the daunting task of actually packing. Packing, sounds easy, right? Think again. I will be in Japan for 11 months, will not come back to the States at all, and am only allowed to bring 2 bags under 50 pounds. Thus, I have decided to write a blog about what I have learned so far as I try to pack. First, STAY ORGANIZED. For anyone who has seen me pack, it is usually a disaster. I take way to much and always end up bringing the most unnecessary items with me. Plus, things are just thrown haphazardly into my bag. This time, I decided to actually be reasonable and stay as organized as I could. For example, I am rubber banding all my electronics chords together, and the ones I do not need on the plane with me, I will keep in a bag in my luggage so they are all together.



My second tip, know what your essentials are and bring only those. For me, the contact solution that I use is sold in Japan, so I am only bringing one bottle with me, so I don't have to worry about shopping for that in my first few days. It would be quite unreasonable to try to pack multiple bottles of solution, since I can buy it in Japan. Also, I am taking the bare minimum amount of clothes that I can since I know I will go shopping while in Japan. It is hard to know what to bring and what to leave behind, but after looking at something for a few minutes, you can usually decide whether it is really essential. Finally, know the country you are going to. I was lucky in that one of my good friends lives in Japan so she gave me some hints, but if that is not the case for you, I would recommend looking up some packing tips. For example, I am 5'11" and wear size 10 shoes. Most women in Japan don't even get close to this size, so I am bringing all the pants and shoes that I could want, since it will be extremely difficult for me to find anything my size. Additionally, one of the best tips I received was about plugs. I know, right? Who would think about plugs when packing? However, different countries have different plugs, and if you don't by an adapter you won't be able to plug anything in! So, if you are going abroad make sure you find out what the plugs in the country look like and if you need an energy converter for any of your electronics so you don't blow a fuse!


This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the things you should do when packing, but I think these are the most important things, especially if you will be abroad for a long time like I will. If anyone has any other packing tips I would love to hear them! 

P.S. The tea of the day is a green tea smoothie ^_^





Comments