Asakusa/Akihabara

Time management used to exist in my life. All my homework was done a few days before class, blogs were posted the day after the event took place, and life was good. Nowadays when I am not hanging out with my new friends I spend the majority of my time watching music videos (like this and this), doing late night yoga and effectively avoiding homework until the night before. Don't even get me started on blogging. That being said, I went to Asakusa/Akihabara last Saturday. So this post isn't too ridiculously late. Maddie and I decided we should meet up again before she has to leave(can you believe she is only here for like 6 more weeks?!). We're both so busy that getting together is very infrequent even though we only live maybe 1.5 hours away from each other. We decided we should meet up by Senso-ji Temple in Asakusa since her and her friend Grace and her wanted to look for some おみやげ (souvenirs) for their friends and family. I had never been to the Asakusa area so I was all for it! I got there a bit earlier than Maddie and Grace, so I spent the time just people watching. 
Kaminarimon, the gate into the Senso-ji area. Usually they have a big lantern, not just a picture of one, but it has been taken down for cleaning

These guys were standing around offering to take your picture in front of the gate and other things (I couldn't understand everything they said). They must have been so cold in their shorts!

You could get a rickshaw ride! 

They arrived and we got down to business!


The main shopping street in the Senso-ji area. There were so many shops! 

As we walked the day ended up being a mini eating fest. It was all traditional stuff and it was so good!

These peanut mochi on a stick were so delicious!

まんじゅ!(manju)

I had my first たいやき (taiyaki) and it was one of the best things I have eaten in Japan! 

We got to the actual temple area, but since it was so late in the afternoon it was closed for the day. We got our fortunes told, but that was about it. I'm definitely going to have to go back another day so I can see the temple more in detail! 

Another big lantern!

After we had had enough of the temple area we decided to head to Kanda for some food, but we ended up just going to Akihabara. The lights were too pretty to resist ^_^ We decided to go to this sushi place that Maddie had been to before. I was really excited since it was my first sushi restaurant I have been to! I know, 2 months in Japan and I never went to get sushi. Don't judge me too hard. I'm so glad we went! It was extremely good and relatively cheap if you picked the right plates.
They have signs telling you how much each plate is worth, so you just choose your plates, and later the waiter will count how many different ones you had and add the total up for you.

Maddie loves sushi!

Overall it was a super fun day and I hope I will be able to see Maddie and Grace again at least once before they leave! I should also get some pictures with Grace, since I realized posting this we never took any together. 

P.S. the tea of the day is Lady Grey from the lovely Siobhan ^^

P.P.S. I will try to do better about posting! I am going to Nikko this weekend, so I should have at least 1 really exciting post coming up! 

P.P.P.S. if there is anything you guys want to know about Japan, Japanese culture, living in Japan etc just post a comment and I will do my best to make a post about it!




Comments