Slowing Life Down








Sometimes it's good to just take a minute and slow down. I've realized recently that I feel like my life is going nowhere. There is so much pressure on uni students to excel in everything we do. We get so much work that all we feel like we do is study. During our junior and senior years at uni we are also supposed to get internships or jobs that could be related to our future. At the same time there is this pressure to join the clubs that could be connected to our future. Additionally, we are supposed to have this amazing social life, spending every spare second we have building lifelong friendships. Can someone please tell me where in this we are supposed to have time for ourselves? 

For me, this all just started to add up and I really didn't understand what I was doing. Sure, I do well in school and I have an internship now, but I haven't even thought about taking the GRE and I have absolutely no idea what to do when I graduate. After coming back from Japan I wasn't in any clubs so I tried to find one that would be perfect for me. I was also trying really hard to spend as much time with my friends as I could, even if it meant spending a night out when I really just needed to relax.

 This really started to cut into my life. I stopped practicing yoga, something that has kept me grounded since I started doing it a few years ago. I didn't read for pleasure, which is something I use to de-stress. I wasn't thinking about future blog posts, one of my favorite hobbies since I started blogging last year. I became very moody and I took offense to many things people said to me, even if they didn't mean it in a bad way. I just didn't have the time or energy to process what they were really trying to say to me. 

So, to all the uni students out there, SLOW DOWN. Yes, you want to do your best in school, but don't kill yourself for all A's. If you have a job or internship, work a feasible amount of work time into your schedule. If you want to join clubs, do it! However, if clubs aren't your cup of tea, don't worry about it. As for friends, your friends will understand if one night you just want to hang out at home. If you have a few solid friendships, that's all that matters and those people will understand if you can't make it to the party one night. Something I think we should all do more is just take some time for ourselves. It will make us happier and more successful people in the long run. 

P.S. the tea of the day is ginger tea ^_^

Comments