Solitude

The other day I was sitting in the cafeteria at school by myself. I was there grabbing some lunch and studying. However, when I finished studying I continued sitting there. I was just drinking some tea and thinking about random things. One of my friends approached me and jokingly made fun of me for sitting alone like a loser. While I know it was a joke and I was by no means upset with her, it did make me think.


After she had left I began looking around the cafeteria. Almost everyone was there with either a friend or a group of friends. There were a few people like me who were alone, but they all had books out and were studying or simply pretending to look busy. 


Now I'm wondering why we have such a fear and stigma against going places alone. Nobody wants to do anything alone for fear of looking like they don't have any friends. Even the simple act of eating a meal out is "unacceptable" to do alone. 

Anyone who knows me knows that I have no problem being alone. Sure, there are times when I would much rather be with my friends. On the other hand, I absolutely don't mind being by myself. I find that being alone gives me time to think. I can think about what has happened during my day/week, consider problems I am having in one of my relationships, or plan a new blog post or my weekly schedule. 


I also find that being alone lets me become comfortable with myself. Being solitary allows me to understand how my mind works and enables me to form my own ideas and opinions about different situations or issues.

Finally, being alone lets me have some time without any pressures. I can do whatever I want without worrying about pleasing someone else. I find it very relaxing to not have to worry about what someone else might want or need from me for a time.


I think everyone should spend more time alone and we should have less fear of being alone. Being alone doesn't mean you don't have friends, it just shows that you are comfortable and secure enough in your own skin to be able to enjoy your own company. 

What do you guys think? What are your reasons for enjoying or not enjoying being alone?

Check out http://www.worldofwanderlust.com/ to see the blog of my inspirational "solitary" person!


P.S. the tea of the day is strawberry grapefruit green tea ^_^

Comments