Why I Hate Final Exams (It's Not What You're Thinking...)

I mentioned in my last post that I've been pretty busy since it's finals week. Well, I was working the closing shift at the library last night and after observing some of the people I decided to write a post about why I hate final exam week.


Disclaimer: I didn't have anyone particular in mind when I wrote this post. It's just things I've picked up during my years at uni and I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

Reason 1: I dislike the structure of not having class. All throughout the year I schedule studying, friends, partying etc around class time. There are set times when I have to be somewhere and do things. This all goes to crap when final exam week begins. Finals week makes me so unmotivated because I have nothing scheduled all day except one test. I have no structure in my day which makes it very difficult for me to work up the motivation to do things.

Reason 2: Everyone is super stressed and cranky. Sometimes during finals week all I want to do is lay around and take a break from studying. I feel like anytime I do this I get glares and cynical comments from people and it makes me sad. 

That being said, I've compiled a list of my suggestions for people during finals week.

1. Don't leave all your work until the last minute! Finals week does not need to be super stressful. If you do your work throughout the year you won't have so much to do during finals. Put in the time during the year to read the chapters, go to class every day if you can, and do the assignments. Then, when it comes time to take your finals or write your paper you will have a better understanding of the material and the exam or paper won't seem so daunting.


2. Breathe! I've found that when people get so stressed for a test they can turn nasty. I've had a lot of people get annoyed at me or snap at me since they are so stressed. To those people I say: calm down. It's just a test. If you believe that you can do it, you will be more likely to do well. If you stress out and think you will fail, you will get stressed and have a greater chance of doing poorly. Just breathe, you can do it!


3. Get a good night's sleep each night. I don't care what people say, I really don't believe anyone works better when it is late at night and they are keeping themselves awake with caffeine. If you go to sleep at a decent hour, wake up early and fresh, you will have enough time during the day to do your work. Maybe you can't do an extended lunch with a friend, but you will feel a lot better in the long run.


Those are just a few things I've learned during my time at uni, both in America and Japan. What do you guys feel is the best way to prepare for finals? Do you have any suggestions for people?

P.S. I'm not sure exactly what the tea of the day is! I received the most adorable box of tea from a friend for Christmas. Each tea dangle has a quote from a novel/author on it. The one I had today said:
"Books had instant replay long before sports" -Bert Williams
Anywho, long story short it doesn't say the type of tea. I think it's what Japanese people call "straight tea" which I think is just plain black tea. Whatever it is, I love it ^_^

Comments