#iamimperfectlyme Week 1

Today marks 1 week that I have been doing my #iamimperfectlyme challenge! I thought I would write a post about how things are going so far and what I hope for the future. 


So far this challenge has been a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I imagined that by the first week I would have the whole jar filled! However, I only have about 8-10 papers in the jar, which I think is very good! I feel like girls are constantly surrounded by images telling them that they have low self-esteem and that we need to fix it. This week has made me think, what if those images are actually causing people to think that they have lower self-esteem than they actually do? I've noticed this week that I definitely don't think as many negative things about myself as I thought I do. 


I don't want you to think that this week has been a walk in the park, though. My negative thoughts have hit me at all times of the day and sometimes it takes so much effort to notice what I am doing and put a stop to it. 


Above is one of the thoughts I had that struck me the most. I was sitting at my friends and had turned to talk to him and draped my leg over the arm of a chair or something, I don't remember anymore. I immediately looked down and thought how fat my leg looked. That really surprised me! Obviously if my leg is over the arm of a chair with pressure being put on my thigh the muscle, flesh, fat, etc is going to spread out. It's natural! It surprised me how much unrealistic notions about beauty have pervaded my subconscious. 

In fact, most of the thoughts in my jar are about my body. When I look back on it now it seems so silly to me! I do yoga almost every day of the week, I go to the gym to lift weights/run 2 times a week (the most I can fit in my busy uni schedule), and I eat a very healthy pescatarian diet (I eat fish/seafood but no meat). I've always thought that I was comfortable in my body and was confident about the way it looked, but this week has really opened my eyes to what I think about myself. 

As my challenge goes forward I hope I can catch the thoughts I have more quickly and find solid reasons why they are wrong. I hope that when the 40 days are over I will have a better body image and overall understanding of my self-esteem and what I truly think about myself. 

I'm going to keep letting you guys know about this challenge, but it might not be every week! I hope that, even if you aren't doing the whole challenge yourself, my posts will help you. Think about what types of things you think negatively about yourself and see if you can come up with reasons why those thoughts are wrong. Trust me, you will surprise yourself with your own inner strength! 

P.S. the tea of the day is Oprah chai ^_^


Comments