Gossiping


I've been thinking about this quote a lot lately. I noticed recently that when I get together with friends we spend most of our time talking about other people. It could be simple things like the internship a friend got or where someone is that weekend. More often it's hurtful and consists of judging one another or making fun of people. Why do we do this?

Why do we get so much entertainment out of discussing people? Especially when it is a person we call our friend. Friends are supposed to build one another up, not tear each other down. Does that mean gossiping makes us bad friends? I've thought about this for the past few weeks and I couldn't come up with a solid answer to this question that I posed myself. 

I want to get out of this cycle of discussing people; whether it is strangers or my friends. Either way it is hurtful. As a person who aims to make people happy, I was surprised by how many malicious comments I make in a day. I think this ties in a lot to my last blog post (see it here). Just because people are different than I am or handle situations differently than I do, does that give me the right to spread gossip about them? OF COURSE NOT! 

I think we should all try to get out of the habit of gossiping about people so much. Let's all work on having great minds, not small minds. It will make our relationships with people more substantial and we won't be hurting people with our words. 

What do you guys think about gossip?

P.S. the tea of the day is Oprah chai (again) ^_^

Comments