Friday Firsts: 22

Happy Saturday! Apologies on this post being late! Yesterday just got away from me, so I decided to post my Friday First a day late this week. 

Last Sunday I turned 22, so for my Friday First this week I wanted to talk about being a new age. This birthday came at a pivotal point for me; I'm graduating from university in a few weeks and I still have yet to figure out exactly what I'm going to do when that happens. 

I realized the other day that the reason I am so unsettled about my post-grad plans is because I don't have my dream anymore. For most of my life I have known exactly what the next step is going to be. I knew that after high school I wanted go to college. I knew that my third year of uni I wanted study abroad. I knew that when I got back from study abroad I wanted start looking at grad schools. All of these things drove me forward and I worked hard to achieve them. Except when I came back from Japan, I stopped. The plan I had been so sure about a few months earlier seemed pointless and tiring to me. I had no idea what I wanted to do anymore.

The year of 21, therefore, was a year of wandering. I jumped from idea to idea, never settling on anything. Then this week, my first week of being 22, it all came together. I realized that it is perfectly okay not to know. It's not the end of the world that I don't have a set plan; because for the first time in my life I can spend some time exploring myself. 

22, therefore, is going to be a year of exploration. I want to focus on myself and not worry about my future plans. I want to work on the things that I enjoy and use those things to truly figure out what I want out of my life.


I want to deepen and expand my yoga practice. Yoga is something that I have done for a few years, but never too seriously. I always told myself that I would focus on it later. When I was done with school, when I had enough money to join classes, etc. 22 is going to make that future the present. I'm going to spend more time practicing and attending classes, because I don't think there is a better way to rediscover my dreams than learning about my body and mind through a practice I love.


I want to truly throw myself into a vegetarian diet. I am vegetarian now, but I've never done the research about vegetarianism that I've always wanted to do. Like yoga, I always told myself I would do it when I had the time. In the year of 22, I'm going to make the time. I want to read books and explore recipes to come to a deeper understanding of the diet I have chosen and improve the healthfulness of what I eat. 


22, I think you're going to be a great year. I think you will help me understand myself better and lead me to rediscover what I want out of my life. My expectations are high, but I don't think I'll be disappointed! 

What new things did you do this week? What do you do when you feel lost in life?

P.S. the tea of the day is ice tea ^_^

Comments

  1. They sound like wonderful goals to me! Can't wait to see what you do! (Tea time with Taylor! Tea time with Taylor!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment