How to Manage a Paper Calendar


I have used both digital and paper calendars to keep myself organized throughout the years. I have found that a paper calendar is one of the best ways for me to keep track of my tasks each day and keep myself organized as I juggle the different parts of my life. Here are my tips for how to manage a paper calendar! 



Color Code

Color coding is a simple way of seeing what your day is filled with at a glance. Use different colors for things like school, work, internships, and personal. By doing this, your tasks are all organized into set groups that you can prioritize in order of importance on each given day. 

Set a Time

I have found that setting a time, even if it's just a guess, for when I will do something is extremely helpful. This helps to plan out the flow of the day, so that everything isn't crammed into the last 2 hours before bedtime. I try to hold myself to the set time as much as I can. However, flexibility is also important. If something else comes up or the day gets a little crazy, allow yourself to move out of the set schedule. 



Don't Overload a Single Day


This is arguably my most important tip! We have all fallen into the trap of trying to fit our entire to-do list into one day when we don't have work or class. However, all this leads to is more stress and not being as productive as we planned to be. Space out your tasks during the week. Do you have a paper due for class? Make that a priority on the days leading up to it. After you have figured out what absolutely needs to be done on certain days, that is when you can start filling in the other tasks you want to get done but aren't priority. 

Stop and Relax

Allow yourself time to relax! Stop working at least 1 hour before bed and give yourself a little time to unwind. I try to stop and read a book or watch a TV show I am enjoying. It's important to have some time to unwind after a long day, otherwise when you try to sleep your mind will still be running with everything you did during the day.

What do you do to manage your time during the day?

P.S. the tea of the day is green tea ^_^


Comments