How to Manage Your Period During Work

A few of my favorite things


Periods are not the easiest time of the month, and recently I've been thinking about what helps me get through a long day of work during that time of the month. Over the past few years I've done my best to develop practices that help me get through the day without feeling overwhelmed. While us girls are never going to feel completely normal, here are the tips and tricks I try to stick to so I can make my week as comfortable as possible. 

Get extra rest. It’s more important than ever to let your body rest. Take a day off from the gym, head to sleep an hour early, or take a long bubble bath. Do whatever helps you relax and rest a little extra during the evenings so you don’t end up feeling drained while you are at work.

Eat healthy foods. Cravings are definitely harder to manage during this week, but it’s important to try to eat as healthy as possible. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and home cooked meals will improve the gross, bloated feelings you have. This goes for lunch as well! Pack a nice lunch so you won’t be tempted to order in or stop by the closest fast food joint.

Drink tea. Peppermint tea helps to relieve any pain and cramping while ginger tea helps nausea. Sip on some hot tea instead of coffee during the day to keep yourself feeling relaxed and ready for what the day has in store.

Allow yourself to indulge. While it is important to be healthy during this time of the month, don’t be too strict with yourself! Have that little bit of chocolate or an extra cookie. Your body is working hard so enjoy a little bit!

Advil. I used to try to avoid taking Advil and would try to deal with the uncomfortable feelings during this week without using medicine. However, when I began working full time I started seeing the benefit of using medicine more often. A day with your period is already going to feel long, so don’t make it worse for yourself. Whether you stand or sit all day, taking pain killers to alleviate some of the stress on your body will help the day go by until you can relax again.

What do your do during that time of the month?

P.S. the tea of the day is citrus green tea ^_^

Comments