Book Review: The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Happy Friday!

This month for my book to review I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. I absolutely loved this book and can't wait to read more from Morris.



This story follows the main character, Lale, as he survives Auschwitz during World War 2. Lale has one goal, to survive. He becomes the tattooist, tattooing the numbers on to his fellow prisoners. During one of the days he meets a woman, Gita, and it's love at first sight. His goal changes to include Gita. He wants the two of them to survive to be able to get married and live in freedom. The rest of the story shows the two of them surviving Auschwitz and the development of their relationship in this dangerous and terrible setting.

Heather Morris first wrote this novel as a screenplay and the style definitely shows through. It is written in third person present tense which made me feel that I was watching Lale go through these experiences rather than hearing him tell the story later. I really enjoyed this aspect of the writing style since it drew me deeply into the story and made the events seem like they were occurring in the present. 

Throughout the novel many awful things happen as can be imagined with a setting like Auschwitz. However, Morris doesn't write the story with dramatic scenes or events that are dwelled on. Contrary to how it seems, it actually makes the events harder hitting. Rather than seeming like an action packed drama where the characters need to devise a way to escape, the story is infused with a feeling of hopelessness which makes Lale and Gita's love story even more amazing. They truly seem like real people trying to survive a horrible situation and find peace together when they are free.

After I finished the story I had to set down the book for a little bit because the events in the novel hit me so hard. However, I am very glad I picked it back up and read the afterword. This is written by Lale and Gita's son and I found it very important to understanding the story. Seeing how they impacted his life growing up and their outlook on life even after everything they experienced was amazing. 

Have you read The Tattooist of Auschwitz? What did you think?

Thanks for reading, I'll see you next time!

Comments