My Most Influential Books

Happy Friday! 

This week I thought it would be fun to share the books that have had the biggest impact on me. I am constantly reading something, but when I think back these are the books that I can go back to time and again and never get tired of.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. This is my all-time favorite novel. The first time I read it I was around 16; my dad bought me an old copy from an antique store for Christmas. I had no idea what the book was about when I started reading but I instantly felt a connection with Jane's character. I love that she has such a strong personality and makes her own choices. As a character, she feels that she doesn't necessarily fit in but she still does her best in every situation presented to her and always stays true to her morals. 



The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. The Power of Now was a book I read as I began to get deeper into my yoga and meditation practices. This book really made me stop and think about my outlook and mental behaviors. I've re-read it only once but I know that I will continue to do so in the future and that it is a book I will always learn something new from.

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. This was the first play I read for school that I really fell in love with. There was just something about the story that connected with me and the story and ideas have stuck with me throughout the years. I am sad to say I haven't read any more Tennessee Williams even though I have been meaning to read more of his work for a long time. 



The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti. This book was one that I read for the first time in middle school, I believe. Since then I have re-read it more times than I can count. I love the portrayal of anxiety in the character Jade and the acceptance her family gives to her. Like most adolescents, I definitely felt like I was different than those around me in school. I loved seeing a book where this feeling of difference was so well depicted and accepted.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I read this short story in high school and it will always be my favorite short story. When I learned that it was based upon the authors own experiences with depression it made even more of an impact. The author used this short story to show how the treatment of women as fragile, inferior beings was wrong and could lead to serious mental harm. I find the story fascinating and catch new, small details each time I re-read it.

What are the books that had the biggest influence on you?

Thanks for reading, I'll see you next time!

Comments